Sunday, November 2, 2014

Holiday: Part Three (London & Oxford)

While I was in the UK I decided to venture into London with my brother and sis-in-law to visit the Natural History and Science Museums.  To get there I had to ride on two of my least favorite modes of transport (train and tube)!  Thankfully I was in good hands and, with my sis 'Sara' as tour guide, we all made it there.
 

One of the things I miss about the UK is the history and richness of the buildings.  When I saw the Natural History for the first time it just blew me away.  These photos really don't do it justice.

 
I love gargoyles and was fascinated with all the animal carvings that are carved into pillars and stone.
 
 
Definitely plan to revisit when I'm home next.
 
************
No trip home for me is complete without a visit to the center of Oxford not only for its shopping but quirky side streets, history and architecture.


Next and final post in the holiday series will be about my experience at a Falconry Center for my birthday.

11 comments:

  1. I love history and these beautiful pictures. So glad you could go for this visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What mind-blowing architecture. Is it wrong for me to be jealous? So much history, so many details, so very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, I kept thinking I wish I had your eye for photographing buildings and how much you'd have loved it.

      Delete
  3. wow some beautiful architecture...our country is so young we do not really have that....only maybe a few places....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. . . . most things are made of wood or vinyl too, I miss all the stonework.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful buildings, especially the Natural History museum. i would love to visit the UK sometime; I love old buildings, so I would be in heaven...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you are making me so homesick :( When I was a Nanny in London I used to go to the Natural History museum every week :) And when I lived in Reading, Oxford was the place to go to for fun shopping and a lovely day trip absorbing all the historical architecture and having tea :) ANd then I saw the photo of Boots the Chemists and I worked for that company for over 4 years, you're killing me here............ no, really, so glad you had a wonderful time and awesome photos........cheers, T. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the history of the old buildings ~ Thanks for the pictures dear ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely photos, esp. the ones with your siblings....and those with buildings wearing the repair hats so funny...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The statues with the work cones on their heads did make me chuckle, guess someone figured they needed decorating.

      Delete