Monday, October 7, 2013

Bugging Out


Ravyn, our black lab, was intrigued with this praying mantis.  She was desperately trying to eat it but thankfully it was hiding under an ornament in the bottom of a large empty flower pot.  I'm sure she would have received a nasty bite had she been successful in reaching it.


I try to appreciate the beauty all around me but no matter how I look at them, spiders always freak me out . . .  especially up close through my macro lens. 

 
Now that I've finished creeping myself out (maybe you too), I'll leave you with a quote from Pablo Picasso . . . . .
 
"The artist is a receptacle for the emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of paper, from a passing shape, from a spider's web."

17 comments:

  1. Oh, you know I'm drooling all over my keyboard! ;p

    Last year my friend found a praying mantis and brought it to me, it was a green one and I had so much fun photographing it. Although all it wanted to do is crawl on me... and even though I'm highly allergic to spiders, they actually fascinate me! You have some great captures here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice...last year we had a pretty large group of mantis that seemed to hatch as we were seeing them all over the place...not so much this year so far....they are so cool and awkward to me...ha....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You take take great shots Kathryn ~ So far no bugs or insects around our house, smiles ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quote and shots, and yes, it is a bit creepy! I'm your newest GFC follower and RSS subscriber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Madge, always great to see new followers. :0)

      Delete
  5. wow...they're scary, but - it's so interesting to watch their moves...Thanks for sharing, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great spider shots! (I know, I'm weird). You do such a great job with the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, afraid you did succeed in creeping me out. I know that these creatures are tiny miracles but - ugh! they give me the creepy-crawlies! Regardless of the "buggy" subject matter, your images are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try a little harder each year to ease my fear of spiders so I can now look and appreciate the beauty of your photos! But I'd be freaked out if I was the one looking through the lens, lol. I like the quote you've included.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love how you captured the beauty... i find spiders fascinating creatures... just not in my bed room...ha..smiles

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH what great shots and crawlies freak me out too but can't resist shooting them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks Gabriella, I always feel braver when there's a camera between me and them.

      Delete